Dissertation Year Fellowship Fiu

What is external funding?
External funding is funding that is provided by an organization (e.g., State, Federal, private) outside the university. There are a number of types of funding opportunities available to students, including everything from small grants for travel or research, to large, multi-year fellowships that cover stipend, tuition and fees, book expenses, and health insurance.

How do I search for external funding opportunities?
Talk with your faculty advisor about external funding, and review the External Funding Opportunities list on the Office of Research & Economic Development.

What if the award offered by a full fellowship is less than the award I would otherwise receive from my departmental teaching assistantship?
All of the benefits listed here will only be provided if the student goes through the pre-award process with a ORED Pre-Award staff member. They cannot be negotiated after the application has been submitted to the granting agency.

Students on full fellowships (i.e., one that pays a stipend of at least $16,000 or the semester equivalent) will have their non-resident fee set to zero. UGS will provide a tuition waiver for the remaining portion of tuition that is not paid by the award. If the stipend offered by a full fellowship is less than your department’s teaching assistantship, UGS will consider supplementing the stipend up to the TA level. If a fellowship does not provide health insurance, UGS will pay the full cost of health insurance for students on a full fellowship. The insurance provided will be the same insurance that is provided to Graduate Assistants.

If I find an opportunity I am interested in applying for, how do I do it?
The first thing to do is discuss it with your Faculty Advisor. If your Faculty Advisor approves of you applying for external funding, contact the pre-award office of the Office of Research & Economic Development. Pre-award will help get you started on any internal paperwork that may be required.

At which stage of my graduate studies should I consider applying?
There are awards available for students at all stages of their graduate studies. When you actually apply may depend on your field, and perhaps more-so, what award you are applying for. Awards may have eligibility restrictions based on what stage of your studies you are in (e.g., 1st year student, pre-dissertation phase, dissertation phase).

When should I start planning to apply for external funding?
As soon as possible. Many applications are due almost 1 year before the award is administered. The most prestigious and competitive awards will require extensive dedication to writing and revising your proposal. Additionally, there may be an award you are not eligible for presently, but you may decide that you want to plan your research so it is consistent with the goals of a particular program, making you a good candidate when you do become eligible.

Can I apply for graduate fellowships as an undergraduate?
Yes. Many fellowships that fund graduate students allow undergraduates to apply during the fall of semester of their final year. If you win the award, you must be accepted into an eligible graduate program to accept it. Winning fellowships as an undergraduate makes students highly marketable to graduate programs.

The FIU Nuclear Energy University Fellowships Program funded by the US Department of Energy Office of Nuclear Energy is supporting excellent graduate school applicants and 1st year students, planning to complete their dissertation in fields associated with of Nuclear Energy. FIU Nuclear fellow graduates are well positioned for employment in the US Nuclear Industry, US Department of Energy Facilities, such as National Laboratories, the US Environmental Protection Agency, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission , the US Department of Defense, as well as other branches of academia, industry, and government.

Eligibility (for incoming FIU graduate students):

  • Have earned a BS degree in a STEM discipline
  • Complete application to one of FIU graduate programs
  • U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
  • Minimum 3.5 undergraduate GPA
  • Future interest in a nuclear/radiochemistry related research project and nuclear energy-related employment
  • More information in the attached announcement and link

Eligibility (for current FIU graduate students):

  • Good current standing in an FIU Ph.D. program
  • Graduate GPA of 3.5 or higher
  • U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
  • Future interest in a nuclear/radiochemistry related research project and nuclear employment
  • More information in the attached announcement and link

Award Benefits:

  • Up to $50,000 of annual support, including annual stipend plus full tuition/fees for a period of 3 years.
  • State of the art research projects with faculty mentors in the fields of Nuclear Chemistry and Radiochemistry
  • Professional development seminars, workshops, and social events
  • Travel funding to professional meetings
  • Funding for research materials and supplies
  • Interdisciplinary research opportunities
  • Opportunities for summer research and networking at State-of-the-Art Nuclear Facilities at National Labs, such as Oak Ridge National Lab, Savannah River National Lab, and Idaho National Lab.

Application Deadlines: Jan. 25th, 2017

Program Link:https://neup.inl.gov/SitePages/Fellowship Information.aspx

Application Link:https://secureportal.inl.gov/caesproposal/Home/Login.aspx

FY 2017 Fellowship Request for Applications:Fellowship Request For Applications

FIU Program Contacts for NEUP Fellowships:

Program Contacts for Graduate Studies in Chemistry (Radiochemistry Ph.D. track):

  • Watson Lees, Ph.D., Chemistry & Biochemistry Graduate Program Director. leeswj@fiu.edu (305) 348-3993
  • Maggie Autie, Chemistry & Biochemistry Graduate Office Specialist, mautie@fiu.edu, (305) 348-3596
Categories: 1

0 Replies to “Dissertation Year Fellowship Fiu”

Leave a comment

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *