How to properly format the MLA Format Heading? This page contains general guidelines on how to properly format the heading on your research paper using the MLA format.
1. The Opening Page:
On the opening page or the first page, you would include the whole heading and your paper’s title. The whole heading would include the following information:
- Your Name
- Your Instructor’s Name
- Your Class Information
- Your Paper’s Due Date
- Font: choose an easy to read font such as Times New Roman or Arial.
- Font Size: set the font size to be twelve (12) throughout your research paper, including your paper’s title. Never set the font site larger than 12.
- Margins: 1-inch for top/bottom/right/left throughout your paper.
- Double-space: double-space throughout your paper. Don’t add extra spaces (besides double-space) between your headings, your title and your paragraphs.
Sample of the opening page:
A sample of the first page of your paper.
2. The Inner Pages:
For the pages that follow the first page, set the heading like this: instead of the whole heading, you would use the header feature on your wordprocessing program and including the following information: Your Name and the Page Number.
Inner Page Example:
Example of the heading for inner pages.
3. The Works Cited Page:
Every research paper must include a works cited page.
- The works cited list is placed at the end of your paper, on a new page.
- The heading for your works cited pages should be the same as the heading for your inner pages, which include your name and the page number at the top.
- Enter the title as “Works Cited” and place this title 1-inch from the top of the page, see more details in the example illustration picture below.
Example of the works cited page:
Example of the works cited page.
*Navigation: back to main page: mla format
– MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Paper, 7th edition
MLA Format guidelines for perfect research papers! Throughout your student life, you have to write many research papers. The completion of each of your papers is an honor of your academic success. Be proud of your education achievement. When you write your research paper, depending on the field of your study, the format you need to use varies. Why are there so many formats available? According to Rosemary G. Feal in the MLA Handbook, the use of a specific format is like mathematicians use symbols to transmit information. Each field i.e. physics, chemistry, etc… designed styles to meet their specific needs. When you study in a particular field, you need to follow their specific format.
Some Existing Formats:
|MLA Format||Used in English, foreign language, literature courses, humanities.|
|APA Format||Used in social sciences, education, engineering and business.|
|Chicago Format||Used in history, economics and social sciences.|
|AAA Format||Used in anthropology and ethnography.|
|CSE Format||Used in biological sciences.|
|AMA Format||Used in Biomedical sciences, medicine and nursing.|
|ACS Format||Used in chemistry.|
|AIP Format||Used in physics.|
|Bluebook Format||Used in American academic legal writing.|
MLA Format Guidelines:
This website discusses about MLA Format with guidelines and examples so you can properly format your academic paper and cite your sources. I hope this site helps and best wishes!
Professional essay writers from Thepensters will help you with your essay writing for sure!