Information technology has helped in shaping both the business world and our society in general. Many fields have been impacted by information technology including but not limited to; education, health, entertainment, and communication just to mention a few. As the world develops, more technology will emerge, and this technology will have both a positive and a negative impact. Below I have detailed points showing how information technology has impacted our lives.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Information Technology In Business
Increases Production and Saves Time
Businesses today more than ever use technology to automate tasks. A good example is a bakery which uses electronic temperature sensors to detect a drop or increase in room or oven temperature in a bakery. These sensors send information directly to the operator, reporting any temperature change. This temperature system saves the bakery time, and it also results in consistent higher quality products.
With the help of communication technology tools like phones, video conferencing, electronic mail or instant messenger just to mention a few, movement of information within an organization or business has become instantaneous. Employees can easily move data across departments without having any interruptions. Tools like electronic mail, e-fax, mobile phones and text messaging enhance the movement of information data among employees, customers, and business partners or suppliers, this allows for greater interconnectivity throughout internal and external structures.
Improves Data Storage, File Management, and Data Reporting/ Analysis
Businesses use cloud hosting services to store and backup business data. Also, it saves on paperwork and makes transfer and access to data possible remotely. With services like Dropbox.com, business owners can access their data anytime anywhere. Additionally, databases today allow for greater correlation of information, analysis of this data relationship can encourage better and more informed decision making, resulting in potential growth.
Improves Financial Management
Accounting software like Quick Books, Bookkeeper, Sage 50, and Account Edge perform various accounting tasks in a business. Business owners can easily balance their books with less experience in accounting because this software is well equipped with every tool needed in accounting. It allows for faster processing and calculation of financial information and the recording or storing of financial data that may need to be referenced in the future.
Cuts Costs of Operation and Increases in RIO
Communication technology and social technology have made business promotion and product launch affordable. Many small businesses have found ways to use social technology to increase their brand awareness and get more clients at a minimal cost. In business, factors like cost of operation play a significant role in the development and growth of a business. So when companies use information technology to cut down on costs of operation, then their ROI will increase, which will result in business growth.
Improves Business to Consumer Relationship
Businesses have embraced the social technology to interact with their consumers and fans, creating a strong business to consumer relationship, and it results in business growth via customer loyalty and expansion. Information technology can be used to improve customer service in so many ways. For example, businesses can use their website or email to inform their customers about great deals and discounts. Making the customer aware of these offers can drive their desire to buy. Good customer service can be used as an excellent tool for any small business to gain the competitive advantage.
Improves Business Competitive Advantage
Companies have used technology to gain the competitive advantage over their competitors. Business who innovate and adopt technology to remain efficient and improve processes, typically have high customer loyalty rates. As they can consistently meet and exceed expectations of their customers.
Small businesses sometimes struggle to afford and maintain expensive core technology, so they end up losing their clients to a company which has the capital and resources necessary to compete in the industry.
Technology has replaced many positions humans used to occupy. Software is now doing complete accounting, so trained accountants have fewer opportunities, robots can cut the lawn or clean the pools, no need for a handyman.
Since businesses store their data on remote cloud servers which can be accessed online with a username and password, they risk potentially losing that data to hackers or viruses.
Advantages and Disadvantages of information Technology in Purchasing
Credit Cards and Smartcards Make Payment Safer
Buying and selling of goods and services have become simple because of these smart cards. A user can go to a merchant’s website and make an order using their smart card or credit card. The money is transferred from the consumers account to the merchant’s account in seconds, and then the merchant delivers the item to the consumer’s address. This transaction saves time for both parties and is often safer, as companies like Paypal allow for buy protection and refunds.
Electronic Bill Presentation and Payment
(EBPP) Systems send us bills over the internet giving us an easy convenient way to pay. No more paper bills in the mail. Save the Trees!
For the merchant to process an order online, a consumer has to provide their financial details. Experienced hackers can use this loophole to channel this information and use it for their own needs. Use PayPal!
Faulty Products and Duplication
In some cases, auction websites have products that are not original. So a user can bid on a shoe thinking it is original, upon delivery, they discover that the shoe is fake and it does not meet your expectation.
E-commerce websites collect personal data using cookies to know more about us and suggest products based on that information. Initially, data was collected without any notice, now most websites declare they intend to collect your information.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Information Technology in Society
Modern Technology has been prominent in job role creation and the emerging of technology-based companies. With access to a computer and internet, anyone can start a business while at home. Most successful technology-based ventures like Apple, Amazon or Facebook, to mention but a few, started from home but now they employ thousands of people.
Technology has changed the entertainment industry; now we have many options to choose from. You can have a playlist of 10,000 songs on your iPod or you can watch movies on the go with an iPad; the list is endless.
Improved Social Discovery
Finding both old and new friends have become very simple. With social networks like Facebook and Twitter, you can easily keep up with all your old friends and also make new ones.
Globalization of Knowledge
Today you can use the internet to get the latest news from any country around the globe. Services like ‘’Twitter’’ have enabled people to become a journalist, so they report news on the instant by tweeting. Services like Wikipedia.org is well equipped with data on about anything, though not 100% always accurate
Like businesses, society has also benefited from communication technology. We can Skype, Whatsapp or video call our loved ones instantly.
With the increased addiction to social networks and internet games, people are spending more time on computers and reject their normal offline life, resulting in increased isolation and social imbalance.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Information Technology in Education
Online Education Has Made Educational Material and Data Accessible Anywhere
The use of internet technology has opened institutional boundaries. Students from developing countries now have a chance to study their desired courses at a standard similar in some cases to first world education institutions. This type of education increases their likelihood of employment international.
Technology Has Created New Methods of Education
Use of educational video games and puzzles has increased students interest in learning. Basing on research, students enjoy learning with technology, many schools have started providing free internet on the school campus, this helps students do research and learn on their own.
Over-dependence on Information Technology
Students no longer take time to solve equations and research topics, all they do is a query in google or on a calculator, poof the answer. Without these devices, they would not know how to achieve the same results in a library or on paper.
Poor Quality Publications Online
Many online publishers post content for monetary purposes, so you may find that most the content published online isnot accurate or well detailed to help students and researchers.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Information Technology in Banking
Online Banking/ Convenient Payments
Many banks have integrated advanced information technology systems to improve their customer service. Today, it is effortless to withdraw money or make a purchase using a Credit card or smartphone with a simple tap; this saves customers from wasting time lining up in banks or from carrying a lot of cash.
The technology used in banks helps in the gathering of financial details and credit scores about each customer, the information gathered can be used when a customer applies for credit in that bank.
Cases of online money laundering are on the rise, and this has exposed many online users to the predators.
Banking security has improved significantly, however, so has hacking expertise. If your information is connected to the internet, there is always the possibility it may get hacked.
EXAMPLES OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY TOOLS YOU MIGHT LIKE
Medialink – Wireless N Broadband Router
Information technology deals with processing of information using various technological tools. As a must, we need to use the internet to transfer and access processed data remotely, so this Medialink – Wireless N Broadband Router is a basic information technology tool, it can be used at your workplace or classroom to enable everyone access wireless internet. You don’t need to have network cables to access the internet at work or in the classroom, simply use this advanced Medialink – Wireless N Broadband Router to access wireless internet. You don’t have to worry about technical details, this Medialink – Wireless N Broadband Router comes with a Setup Wizard Guide which will take you through a step by step process until the all installation is complete.
This Router is soo Old! Check these out
Kaspersky Internet Security
Information technology tools like the internet are not safe, so it is better to use a well-trusted anti-virus to secure your data. During the process of doing research online or opening attachments sent via electronic mail, your computer and data will be exposed to harmful programs, but when you use a powerful anti-virus, like this Kaspersky Internet Security, all infected websites and files will be blocked, it is a good security tool for small businesses and students.
Get more modern options for your Security!
WiFi Wireless Network USB Adapter:
If you own a laptop, you can easily use this WiFi Wireless Network USB Adapter to access the internet from anywhere. It is slim in size, and it is compatible with any computer or notebook. Get rid of wires in your office or home, installing this WiFi Wireless Network USB Adapter is very easy, it comes with a CD which will install the software to enable this WiFi Wireless Network USB Adapter work efficiently, after the installation, plug and play the device to access wireless internet.
Get the Latest USB Adapters!!
:-Impact of Information Technology In An Organization
:-Importance And Functions of Information Technology
:- The Future of Information Technology
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Information – Communication Technology (ICT) is a general expression for a variety of different computer, information and communication devices, applications, network and services. Communication Technology has become important in our daily lives. Both individuals and business use communication technologyto get what they need. However, it also has its downsides. Communication technology in an organization involves things like Voice mail, Email, Teleconferences and Compressed video, GDSS (computer assisted decision making and Virtual reality.
All these forms of communication will assist in the growth of an organization, but they also have their down sides. Below i have listed both the advantages and disadvantages of communication technology.
ADVANTAGES OF COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN AN ORGANIZATION
- Speeds the sending of information: Communication technology tools like electronic mail and text messaging systems, speed up the sending of information with in and out side of the organization. Also with the use of decentralized computing systems, sharing of information with in an organization is very first because all data is accessed from one central unit ‘’Database’’ and it is shared across different departments with in the organization.
- Improves organizational communication: Communication technology helps in the creation of a shared information environment in an organization. Organization information is organized in one central location, allowing any one access that information as they need. Also technologies like electronic mail, will enable low level employees communicate with the manager without any need of having a dedicated time for meeting. This allows information to flow easily from the bottom to the top without any barriers.
- Speeds decision making in an organization: Since communication technology speeds the transfer of information, employees in an organization can easily consult each other and analyze information in a shortest period and make a decision. Also with the use of (OLAP) Online analytical processing, employees can perform queries on a database to get data about a specific client or matter and make a quick decision basing on the data retrieved from the database about that specific client or matter.
- Increases participation in organizational processes: Every employee will have a specific task to complete and all this can be monitored remotely by the manager. So all parties will be active since their work is being made simple by easy communication. Employees who are shy to ask for advice and help, will use tools like electronic mail or instant text messaging services to ask for help from their workmates with in the organization, they can also use the same medias to participate in decision making and creative design challenges.
- Influences the way people interact in organizations: Lets look at an organization were you only see the operations manager twice a week, by the time he comes, every one will need to speak to them and they will have less time for each of you. But with electronic mail, you can simply draft an email and send it to your superior or workmate. In this case, they don’t have to stop what they’re doing to attend to your matter, but you will get an instant reply and continue with your work.
- Structures organizational life: Communication technology puts every thing were it is supposed to be. No need to see papers and files every where in the office. All data is stored on the database, and you will have less paper work in the organization which makes life easier at work. Also the organization will spend more time on other productive section since the time to organize their data is saved by technology.
- Supports open discussions: Most organization have used the internet to create organizational forums where members of the organization can discuss about various issues and get a solution. In this case members can suggest on areas of improvement within the organization.
- Eliminates stereotypical classifications: According to Urban Dictionary, Stereotypical is a term used to define all people of a certain belief into a mostly negative category that may only reflect a selected few of the racial demographics. With communication technology, all this will be eliminated because there is no face-to-face communication. Stereotyping of employees can result into poor performance and lack of self esteem amongst employees, so it is a wrong character.
- Provides a voice to those who normally would not speak up in groups: Face-to-face communications tends to be difficult to some people, so the use of communication technology will help them communicate effectively at work. Some employees might have a fear of face-to-face expression, but these employees might have relevant suggestions or contributions which can help the organization grow, so they can easily use technological tools like electronic mail to voice out their concerns.
:- 5 Best Virtual Meeting Technologies – Communication Technology
:- 4 New Communication Technologies To Improve Organizational Communication
DISADVANTAGES OF COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN AN ORGANIZATION:
- Poor substitute for face-to-face (ftf) communication: Since employees are using machines to communicate, they get less time to talk to each other and know each other better. This has resulted into increased bad relationships at work. Even though the shy ones will benefit from this technology , but they will also be denied the chance to learn how to interact with others.
- Difficulty Training Employees: If an organization deploys a new communication technology system, they will have to pay an extra fee to train employees in the organization to use that technology effectively. Some times some employees will not learn as first as others which might led to job losses.
- Expensive: It can be very expensive to install a new communication technology system in a very big organization. Let’s say that an organization has over 50 employees and they want them to access information from a centralized location. They will have to create a strong data base which will handle all the queries made by these employees in a minute as well they have to buy a computer for each of these employees.
- Not Safe: Since information has been centralized under one database, it is exposed to people with wrong intention with in the organization. Also information can be attacked by a hacker or a virus and all data will be lost in a minute. So the organization must pay an extra cost to keep this information safe.
:- Use Of Communication Technology For Organizational Communication
:- How Technology and Communication Affect Knowledge Management
Serious research has been undertaken to publish this content, so you're in the right place. I love technology, I believe embracing its potential for personal, business or educational advancement will pave the way forward for us all. We've all heard "knowledge is power", with this website I hope, to some degree, to empower you!