Art history research paper topics and their writing processes differ from other college and university academic papers that students are assigned to write. In such papers you make the necessary arguments concerning the things you see; to be more precise you interpret visual information into verbal information. To write a really good research paper on art history, you should be familiar with the terms needed to describe the work of art and it is extremely important to choose appropriate art history research paper topics.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Types
You can cover your art history research paper in 2 ways:
- Narrative – the description of the facts concerning the topic, which is based on opinions and facts.
- Analytical – the presented argument should be supported by the evidence.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Renaissance
Choosing the Renaissance period as their art history research paper topics, students usually pay special attention to Michelangelo’s style. You can compare several of his early works with his later works and discuss the factors which changed his style of painting.
It is also recommended to evaluate Leonardo Da Vinci’s career and his influence on art.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Far East
The Buddhist architecture and Indian sculpture and painting are inexhaustible topics for research papers on art. You can compare Indian, Japanese and Chinese visual arts and point out differences and similarities between them.
Art History Research Paper Topics: Middle Ages. Gothic and Romanesque
This is a large field for discussions and descriptions, for example, you can compare buildings of the Romanesque architecture, explain the role of illuminated manuscripts in art, etc.
Art History Research Paper Topic Examples
- Main similarities and differences between the Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles.
- Features of sculptures in ancient Greece. The influence of science on sculptures.
- The role of Mughal paintings in forming the image of the Mughal kings in India.
- Biblical motives in Leonardo da Vinci’s early paintings.
- Surrealism in Salvador Dali’s sculptures.
- The origin of the traditional Japanese and Chinese costumes and their impacts on culture.
- Key changes in methodology in paintings at the epoch of Impressionism. The differences in paintings of two impressionists: Edgar Degas and Claude Monet.
- The main features of late Baroque architecture (c. 1660 – c. 1725)
- The history of creating The Death of Sardanapalus and its place in Eugène Delacroix’s paintings.
- Different mannerisms in Pablo Picasso’s paintings, from Art Nouveau to Cubism: evolution, or just separate periods in his oeuvre?
- The combination of different art styles in the extraordinary painting The Kiss by Gustav Klimt.
- Various interpretations of The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh.
- Ancient Greek motifs in Michelangelo’s sculpture, David.
- The psychology of color in Kazimir Malevich’s works.
- Realistic and artificial motifs in Jasper John’s Flag.
- Why was Renaissance art so overwhelmed with Christian symbols and themes?
- Was Hitler’s artwork actually good?
- Is the majority of modern art a scam?
- What was the influence of the Industrial Revolution on art development?
- What is so special about the carving The Veiled Virgin?
- What were the main reasons of the Roman artistic style shift in the 4th century?
- How were Victorian beauty standards depicted?
- What is so special about the light in Monet’s Sunrise?
- What were the primary aims of the camera obscura and how did it change throughout the years?
- Compare the critiquing styles of Clement Greenberg and Harold Rosenberg.
- What are the peculiar features of Art Deco hotels in French Indochina?
- Was sculpture art the main business in Venice?
- The connection between French caricatures of the 19th century and Goya’s prints.
- What is so unusual and unique in Russian icons?
- The evolution of the uncovered body in paintings of various periods and countries.
You may also be interested in other research paper topics that cover various disciplines.
Art History Research Paper Topics Help
Most college and university students feel overwhelmed when they receive an assignment to write a research paper on art; if you are one of them, apply for help from EssayShark.com and receive a perfect opportunity to get a good paper within your time deadline. Your supervisor will be definitely impressed by it. EssayShark.com employs only professional writers with perfect writing skills and experience, so there is no need to worry about the papers quality and originality. All research papers are plagiarism-free and sold only once. With this custom writing service you’ll definitely be the best in your group or class. What should you do? Just place an order and write:
- Paper topic.
- Number of pages.
- Academic level.
- Personal requirements.
Breakthroughs in the Evolution of Art Essay
1266 Words6 Pages
Throughout history, art has been ever-changing. There are four main periods that I believe made breakthroughs in the evolution of art. Firstly, I will talk about Baroque, which is dark and emotional, that definitely reflects the political tensions during that time. Next, I will talk about Romanticism, which is based more on nature and outdoors. This period also showcases artwork that is light, happy, and more imaginative than previous periods. Then, I will show how Impressionism artwork is light and rather carefree. There were many people and objects that are shown. Finally, I will tell you about Fauvism, which is quite extreme and over the top. The paintings are abstract and interesting to look at. These are only four of the many art…show more content…
His paintings are ominous and kind of depressing. Two of his paintings are: Landscape with Dancing Figures and Apollo Guarding the Herds of Admetus. Landscape with Dancing Figures is a beautiful painting. Although it is colorful and bright, it still has an underlying tension. This painting feels very real. Apollo Guarding the Herds of Admetus has a nice contrast between the dark and light parts; it makes for a nice shadowy effect. This painting is unlike any other painting that I have seen from the Baroque period. You can tell that during the Baroque period, art was very important. I studied art from previous periods, and Baroque is completely original and a huge improvement. Romanticism is the next time period that I researched. A lot of this art featured nature, moods, passions, mental potentials, and heroes. This was a very spiritual time period, with many paintings showcasing: the mysterious, the occult, the diseased, and the satanic. This was a very freeing time-period, where many people started to move away from the church and started to think for themselves. A famous artist from this time was Richard Wilson. He was known as “…the most distinguished painter Wales has ever produced and the first to appreciate the aesthetic possibilities of his country.” he was also considered to be the father of landscape painting in Britain. Two of his paintings are: Apollo and the Seasons and River Scene with a Farmhouse. They are